The Northland Chapter is also responding to a mult-unit fire in Hibbing where 15 people are reported to be displaced. Two people in that blaze have been transported for medical attention.
Also today, Duluth Red Cross volunteer Belissa Ho is assisting two adults and three small children, ages 2 to 5 years-old, following a fire at 2867 Exeter St. in Duluth that left them temporarily homeless Sunday. The Red Cross was notified yesterday, Executive Director Judy Hanne Gonzalez said. Ho is providing emergency shelter at an area hotel for one adult and two children and Red Cross assistance including food and clothing for all five clients.
On Wednesday, Red Cross volunteer Joel Huenemann of Superior responded to a fire in which a mobile home at 3132 E 5th St. in Superior was completely destroyed on Monday. Huenemann provided food, clothing and seasonal wear, along with help to replace prescriptions.
“Cold snaps like this often result in spates of home fires,” said Gonzalez. “I don’t know the causes of these blazes, but unsafe home heating is the second most common cause of fires nationwide.”
She recommends that people make sure that space heaters are far from flammable materials such as drapes and upholstery.
“Don’t ever use things like gas stoves or grills to heat your home, and be especially careful with candles in the event of power outages.” Gonzalez said.